Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Beginning of an Exciting Adventure

I would probably be the first person to say that I wonder what, if anything I have to say that might be of interest to parents of college students.  My wife Rachelle and I have raised 3 children, all of which are now married.  They are all fully devoted followers of Christ, so I suppose that is something.  My job as Director of Alumni & Parent Relations at Northwestern College provides a unique opportunity to engage with students, alumni, parents and friends on a daily basis so I guess that gives me some insight as well.  As I think about it, I guess These experiences are what I bring to the table and hope to share with you in the days, weeks and months to come.


What is the goal of this blog?  Simple; to provide you with resources, encouragement, and some advice as you, a college parent, work through this new adventure in your family's life.  Now one thing I do know.  Unlike a blog page, raising and helping college age children has ZERO templates.  Each and every experience is different.  However, there is one thing that is constant, that is the need to place Jesus Christ as the center of your journey and your life. 

In the book of Jeremiah, we are told, "I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you.  Plans to give you a hope and a future."  God knows your family condition, your needs and your concerns.  He also knows the plans he has for you, so;

  • Seek Him daily by prayer and study of His work, the Bible.
  • Seek out wise counsel.
  • Spend time as a family talking through situations and discussing options.
  • Take some risks.
I am excited for your adventure and wish you the best as you and your student head into this new stage in your lives.

Jim 

No comments:

Post a Comment